2001 S. Jones, Suite I
Las Vegas, Nevada 89146
Admitted to Practice:
1986 District of Nevada
1988 Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
1988 Southern District of California
1988 Central District of California
1989 Northern District of California
1993 United States Supreme Court
Vanderbilt University School of Law - 1986
Disciplinary Sanctions: None
Professional Liability Carrier:
Liberty Insurance Underwriters, Inc.
55 Water Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10041
attn: Specialty Casualty Lawyers
Legal Articles and Treatises:
- The Medical Device Safety Act: AAJ’s Women’s Caucus’ Lobby Days Chosen Bill, The Advocate (NJA Publication), November/December, 2009.
- NTLA Bill Draft Committee, The Advocate (NTLA Publication), July/August, 2005.
- Planning for Solo Practitioners, The Advocate, September/October, 2004.
- Diary of an Arbitrator, The Advocate, September/October, 2003.
- Disaster Planning: Client Protection and More, The Advocate, September/October, 2002.
- Limits of the Automatic Stay in Bankruptcy and Support Obligations, The Advocate, September/October, 2001.
- Personal Jurisdiction by way of the Internet, The Advocate, September/October, 2000.
- Leadership and Lawyers, The Advocate, September/October, 1999.
- Special Administrators and Guardians Ad Litem, The Advocate, July/August, 1998.
- Surfing the Net--Legal Resources Online, The Advocate, September/October, 1997.
- A Little Known ATLA Benefit: The Admission Ceremony at the United States Supreme Court, The Advocate, February, 1996.
- Domestic Violence: What It Is and What It Does To Your Clients, The Advocate, August, 1995.
- What Do You Do When Your PI Client or Defendant files Bankruptcy? The Advocate, July, 1994 (Co-Author with Stephanie M. Smith).
Eighth Judicial District Court - 2
Bench Trials and Arbitrations - 75 (estimated)
Administrative Hearings tried to conclusion:
1 hearing before the worker’s compensation board for medical providers.
Nevada Supreme Court:
2 cases briefed and argued
1 briefed but no argument conducted
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
1 case - argument only
1 case - briefed but no argument conducted; decision published as, Metabolic Research, Inc. v. Ferrell, et al., 668 F.3d 1100 (9th Cir. 2012), withdrawn 693 F.3d 795 (9th Cir., 2012)
Professional Activities Consisting of Teaching or Lecturing:
2005 to 2011 - teaching business structures to the business plan class at Nevada MicroEnterprise Initiative.
2009 and ongoing - speaking on various topics as part of the Ask a Lawyer small business program with Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada.
Speaker, Credit Managers Association of California Materialman’s Group, Business Structures and Guarantys, August, 2014.
Speaker, Clark County Bar Association, Hidden Assets:
Techniques for Collecting Evidence, February, 2014.
Speed Mentor and Speaker, Las Vegas Convention and Visitors
Authority Committed to our Community resource building event for local businesses, September, 2012.
Speaker, Dress for Success, Legal Basics for Small Business
Speaker, 2012 People’s Law School, Bankruptcy.
Speaker, 2010 People’s Law School, Bankruptcy.
Speaker, November, 2009-NACM Group: How Not to Make Your Lawyer Crazy.
Speaker, 2004 People’s Law School, Domestic Law.
Speaker, State Bar of Nevada, Legal Assistant’s Seminar, Legislative Update on Domestic Law, September, 2003.
Speaker, Recharger Magazine World Expo, Introduction to Business Structures and Getting Paid: How to Document Past-Due Accounts for Collection, September, 2003.
Speaker, Credit Manager’s Association of California,
National Irrigation Group, Documenting Your File, March, 2003.
Speaker, 2001 People’s Law School, Domestic Law.
Speaker, NTLA Hot Topics Seminar, Blackletter Basics You Should Know When Your Client in a PI Case Dies, April, 2000
Speaker, 1999 NTLA Convention, Bankruptcy Update.
Speaker, Nevada Trial Lawyers Association, Current Legislative Topics, June, 1999
Speaker, 1998 People’s Law School, Bankruptcy.
Break-out Leader, Nevada Arbitration Training, State Bar of Nevada, December, 1997.
Speaker, 1996 People’s Law School, Domestic Violence.
Speaker, Clark County Bar Association, Civil Law
Legislative Update, October, 1995.
Speaker, Nevada Trial Lawyers Association, Current
Legislative Topics, April 19, 1995.
Volunteer or Charitable Organizations:
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge 1468
Trustee 2011-2016; Board of Directors Chair, 2014-2015
Advisory Board, New Vista Communities
Garden Railroad Society of Las Vegas
Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now American Association for Justice): Member; Nevada Liaison to Women’s Trial Lawyer Caucus
State Bar of Nevada: ADR Implementation Committee
Nevada Trial Lawyers Association (now Nevada Justice Association): Member; Board of Governors 1993-2005, NTLA--Treasurer 1997-2004, Vice-President 2004-2005
Medical Malpractice Screening Panel (disbanded 2002)
Clark County Bar Association: member
Court Annexed Arbitration Program: Arbitrator
Short Trial Program: Judge Pro Tempore